On a table laid out with food for a tailgate, corn should always be present in some form or another. This universally popular vegetable lends itself easily to infinite variety. This recipe is a far cry from the ubiquitous bland-as-vanilla version. The grilled corn and Serrano peppers are teamed with seasonings borrowed from popular Indian cuisine, giving the finished dish a smoky aroma and flavor. It is a delicious accompaniment to grilled meats, stands alone as a main dish and is an appetizing salad.
Rainbow Corn Relish
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Difficulty Level: Medium
- 8 large ears of corn, husked and grilled until lightly golden
- 2 Serrano peppers, roasted until charred
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes diced
- 1 medium Persian cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 small orange pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- Half-teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon roasted coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- Half-cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
Directions:READ MORE: Memorial Held For Beloved Barber Gunned Down On The Job In Lawndale
One by one, stand each ear of grilled corn vertically in a large bowl and use a sharp knife to cut away the kernels as deep as possible, from top to bottom. Remove any remaining threads or husks. Slit the roasted Serrano peppers in half from tip to tail, remove seeds and white pith and chop finely. Add to the corn.
Add onion, tomatoes, cucumber and all four bell peppers to the bowl and mix thoroughly. Add minced ginger, lemon juice, cumin, red chili and coriander. Lastly, add sugar and salt. Toss together lightly. Sprinkle chopped cilantro on top. Cover and refrigerate until needed. Serve this dish cold or at room temperature.
Now, here’s an awesome way to add dessert to your football party – team cake pops!MORE NEWS: Goodman Theater Opens For The First Time In More Than A Year
Bina Joseph, a resident of Glastonbury, CT is a freelance writer covering all things travel-related in Connecticut.
A passionate veteran of the travel industry, Bina has visited more than 40 countries, giving her a unique, global perspective. Her work can be found at Examiner.com.