ST. CHARLES, Ill. (STMW) — A northwest suburban Elgin man was ordered held without bond after he allegedly invaded the home of his estranged wife, used a pipe to beat a man he found there and later was hit by a truck — all on the night of Valentine’s Day.

Randall S. Sinks, 27, of the 500 block of Douglas Avenue, has been separated from his wife for more than a year and had been charged previously with domestic battery against her. The wife told officers that she recently moved to an apartment in the first block of South Crystal Avenue just to get away from him.

But she said that at about 10 p.m. on Feb. 14, Sinks somehow figured out where she was living and showed up at her door. When she opened the door, she told officers, he forced his way into the apartment, found a 32-year-old man in a back bedroom and beat the man with a 3-foot pipe around the face, head, chest and arms.

Officers reported the 32-year-old was taken by ambulance to Presence Saint Joseph Hospital, bleeding from the face and head. He was released from the hospital the next day.

Police said Sinks left the apartment before they arrived but then began phoning his wife, threatening to kill himself. About three hours after the attack, police said, at about 12:40 a.m. on Friday, Sinks reportedly stepped in front of a semi on eastbound Route 20 east of McLean Boulevard and was hit by the truck.

Sinks was hospitalized, suffering from a collapsed lung, a broken leg and various other injuries, according to police. He was later arrested after he was released by the hospital.

Sinks is accused of two Class X felony charges of home invasion, felony counts of aggravated battery and trespass, and misdemeanor counts of violation of an order of protection and domestic battery.

He was ordered held without bond, and will next appear in court March 7.

(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2013. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Watch & Listen LIVE