CHICAGO (STMW) — A man was killed and at least eight other people were wounded in shootings in just more than five hours Thursday night into early Friday.

About 9:20 p.m., a man was killed in a South Shore shooting, police said.

The 23-year-old was shot in the head and chest in the 7600 block of South Coles Avenue, police said. He was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, where he later died, police said.

The Cook County medical examiner’s office did not provide details on the man’s death Friday morning.

The most recent shooting occurred about 12:23 p.m. in the Avalon Park neighborhood. A 17-year-old girl and 18-year-old woman were shot while sitting on a porch in the 8300 block of South Anthony Avenue, police said.

The 17-year-old was grazed by a bullet on her arm and lower leg, while the 18-year-old suffered a graze wound to the side of her torso, police said. Both were taken to South Shore Hospital in good condition.

About 25 minutes earlier, two men were shot in the 9300 block of South Wallace Street in the Washington Heights neighborhood. One man, 28, was shot in the arm and taken to Little Company of Mary Hospital, where his condition was stable. The other man, 32, was shot in the arm and wrist. He was taken to Christ Medical Center where his condition had stabilized, police said.

About 11:15 p.m., a 16-year-old boy was shot in the 4200 block of South Wells Street. He was shot in the leg and taken to Stroger Hospital, where his condition stabilized, police said.

Forty-five minutes earlier, a 52-year-old man was shot while walking in the 1700 block of West Juneway Terrace in Rogers Park. He was taken to St. Francis Hospital with a gunshot wound to the buttocks, police said. His condition was stable.

About 10:05 p.m., a 14-year-old boy was shot in the back in 7300 block of South Wolcott Avenue in West Englewood. He was taken to Christ Medical Center where his condition had stabilized, police said.

Thursday night’s first shooting occurred about 7:15 p.m.

A 23-year-old man was shot in the 6700 block of South Green in Englewood, police said. He was taken to Christ Medical Center, where his condition had stabilized.

No one is in custody for any of the shootings as area detectives investigate.

(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2014. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)