WASHINGTON (CBS/AP) —An American man believed to have been killed in Syria was there to fight alongside a terrorist group, most likely the Islamic State, a U.S. official said Tuesday.
Investigators were aware that Douglas McAuthur McCain had traveled to the country to join a militant group, but they did not yet have his body and were still trying to verify information about his death, said the official, who was not authorized to discuss by name an ongoing investigation and spoke only on condition of anonymity.READ MORE: Mayor Lightfoot Delays General Iron Permit To Move To South Side Over EPA Concerns
McCain was born in Chicago and grew up in the Robert Taylor Homes. He and his mother eventually relocated to Minnesota. McCain moved to San Diego after graduating from high school.
When asked if his death could be used for propaganda purposes, CBS 2 Security Consultant Ross Rice, says, “Somebody could look at that and they could spin it however they want and use that for motivation to join the cause in Syria or conduct a terrorist act here.”
A relative, Kenneth McCain, told The Associated Press that the State Department had called to tell his family that Douglas McCain had been killed in Syria. “We do not know if he was fighting anyone,” he said.
U.S. law enforcement and intelligence officials have expressed concern about the influence of hard-line jihadists who are among the rebels seeking to overthrow Syrian President Bashar Assad. Officials say fighters from the U.S. or Europe looking to join the cause could become radicalized and import those influences and terrorist skills when they return home.
It was unclear when McCain traveled to Syria.
A cousin, Kenyata McCain, told the Minneapolis Star Tribune that she had spoken to McCain as recently as Friday and “he was telling all of us he was in Turkey.”
“I know that he had strong Muslim beliefs,” she told the newspaper. “But I didn’t know that he was in support of ISIS. I didn’t think he would be.”
At an apartment complex in New Hope, Shelly Chase remembered McCain as a friendly boy who welcomed her 9-year-old son, Isaac, when the Chase family moved in some two decades ago. Even though McCain was a few years older, the boys used to lift weights, hit punching bags and play basketball.
Both Shelly Chase and her son, now 28, fought back tears as they talked about McCain.READ MORE: Chicago Night Clubs Gear Up For Looser COVID-19 Restrictions As State Prepares To Enter Bridge Phase
“I’m holding in the tears, I really am, because this is hard. He was a good kid,” Shelly Chase said. “Someone must have persuaded him.”
Isaac Chase said he had always looked up to McCain. Chase joined the military in 2007, and said before he left, he knew McCain was running into trouble, sometimes smoking marijuana at the park. Minnesota criminal courts records show McCain had a few minor traffic offenses, including two instances where he was convicted of giving police a false name or ID.
“I don’t know if he was just lost or what,” Isaac Chase said. “He was a good person at heart.”
He said he last talked to McCain in 2008 when he was home on leave. McCain told Isaac he was proud of him, and he was trying to straighten out his own life, Isaac said.
FBI Director James Comey said in June that roughly 100 people had left the United States to join the conflict in Syria.
Comey said the terrorism threat of today “has spread, metastasized. … The traveler problem makes it even more difficult, because the people going to Syria are not from any particular demographic. They’re not from any particular part of the United States.”
Comey’s remarks came during a visit to the FBI’s field office in Minneapolis, which has struggled in recent years with several young Somali-Americans leaving the United States to join the terror group al-Shabab in Somalia.
FBI spokesman E.K. Wilson said agents continue to investigate reports that several young men have left the Minneapolis area for overseas locations, including Syria.
“We have done extensive outreach recently, as we have the last seven years, but we’ve had a concerted effort … over the last few months,” he said, as reports of travel to Syria surfaced.MORE NEWS: Saint Joseph Catholic School Principal On Administrative Duty After Former Teacher Charged With Child Sex Crimes
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS Radio and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)