(CBS) — A malfunctioning appliance is being blamed for a carbon monoxide leak which sent 11 workers to hospitals from a Near West Side food processing plant late this morning.

The carbon monoxide leak was at Aspen Foods on Fulton Market at May Street – where they process chickens.

READ MORE: Chicago Weather: Winter Weather Advisory Issued For Illinois; 1-3 Inches Of Snow Possible

Chicago Fire Department Deputy District Chief Chris Lyons says one worker was taken to the hospital in fair condition; 10 others in good condition.

READ MORE: Chicago Park District Hosts Polar Adventure Days At Northerly Island

“I believe the CO levels were roughly 170, which is fairly high.”

Workers were allowed back in less than two hours after the leak.

Peoples Gas – working with the fire department – has determined the cause to be a commercial fryer that was malfunctioning.

MORE NEWS: Northwestern Medicine Study Gives Clues About How Long COVID-19 Symptoms Can Linger

That fryer has now been disconnected.