CHICAGO (CBS) — The decision to move the popular Riot Fest from Humboldt Park to Douglas Park was cause for celebration, and a warning, from those who didn’t want the festival back in their neighborhood.
Humboldt Park neighborhood residents who opposed bringing Riot Fest back to their park this year were doing a little gloating on Friday. About two dozen people gathered near the corner of Division Street and California Avenue.
“This is a citizen victory,” said Charlie Billops. “The people of Humboldt Park don’t want you back.”
Ald. Roberto Maldonado (26th) had said he did not want Riot Fest back in Humboldt Park this year, citing damage caused by the large crowds and heavy rain last year.
Billops was one of the leaders of the effort to pull the welcome mat from under Riot Fest after last year’s festival, because of the damage left behind, and a handful of other reasons.
“One of the comments from one of the citizens was, ‘I couldn’t use the buses, because they were full.’ Uber cabs, they were charging premium rates. The cell phone system was down, because there was so much activity on it,” he said.