CHICAGO (CBS) — Officials in Aurora have identified the city’s 10 most accident-prone intersections, where nearly 360 crashes occurred through the end of August.
Aurora city spokesman Dan Ferrelli said Illinois Route 59 and Liberty Street ranked at the top of the list, with 51 crashes.
Heavy traffic volume and construction were factors at many of the intersections, but so was distracted driving – drivers talking on their phones or texting while driving.
“People have got to put down those cell phones and concentrate on the road,” Ferrelli said. “Too many people are still not using hands-free devices. They’re driving too fast. They’re making bad decisions when they change lanes.”
Ferrelli said studies have shown distracted driving can be more dangerous than drunk driving.
“Distracted driving is just a horrendous problem that leads to a lot of accidents … especially on the crowded highways and byways,” he said.
The Top Ten most accident-prone intersections in Aurora through August 31st (number of crashes in parentheses):
• Liberty Street and Illinois Route 59 (51)
• Eola Road and Aurora Road/Indian Trail Road (45)
• Frontenac Street and Ogden Avenue/U.S. Route 34 (44)
• Galena Boulevard and Orchard Road (34)
• Ogden Avenue and Illinois Route 59 (33)
• Eola Road and Ogden Avenue (33)
• Eola Road and New York Avenue (31)
• Eola Road and Liberty Street (30)
• Indian Trail Road and Lake Street (29)
• Farnsworth Avenue and Molitor Road (29)