CHICAGO (CBS) — A federal judge has given the city more time before he decides whether to release videos of a third fatal police shooting, this one involving the death of a black teenager in 2013.
Cedrick Chatman, 17, was shot by police in January 2013, and his family wants surveillance videos of the shooting made public as they push forward with a federal civil rights lawsuit against the city and two police officers.READ MORE: Teen, 15, Shot In The Loop
Officers were chasing Chatman in connection with a car theft when police shot him.
Even though the city recently agreed to release videos of two other fatal police shootings – the cases of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald and 25-year-old Ronald Johnson – city attorneys have argued releasing the video of Chatman’s shooting could compromise jury selection for the pending trial in the lawsuit.
Last month, another judge declined the family’s request to release the video, and they have asked another judge to overrule her.
U.S. District Judge Robert Gettleman said he would rule in January whether the videos should be released, after taking time to consider how the release of the video might affect the trial. He ordered both sides to submit written briefs on whether the video might affect any ruling he might have to make before trial.
Gettleman said he will rule on the matter on Jan. 14.