CHICAGO (STMW) — An Elgin family was displaced after a fire rendered their mobile home uninhabitable Monday afternoon in the northwest suburb.

Crews were called at 1:41 p.m. about the fire in the 900 block of South McLean Boulevard, according to a statement from the Elgin Fire Department. Firefighters arrived to find black smoke coming from the mobile home.

The fire started because the homeowner was trying to defrost a frozen water pump with a space heater and a propane heater, according to the fire department.

Crews extinguished the fire in about 20 minutes, although it took another hour to ensure all hidden fires were out, according to the fire department. The home’s occupants were outside when firefighters arrived and no injuries were reported.

Damage to the home was estimated at more than $75,000, the fire department said. It was uninhabitable after the fire.

(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2016. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)