(CBS) — A 15-year-old boy died after choking in the lunch room last week at Willowbrook High School in west suburban Villa Park.
At 12:16 p.m. Sept. 19, authorities responded to a call of a student who was choking in the lunch room at 1250 Ardmore Ave. in Villa Park, according to statement from the DuPage County coroner’s office.READ MORE: Bar22 In South Loop Catches Fire Overnight
Abdul Jalal, of Lombard, was unresponsive and taken to Elmhurst Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 1:09 p.m., according to the statement.READ MORE: Chicago Weather: Warmup In Effect; Scattered Showers Possible
An autopsy Tuesday indicated that he may have choked on a piece of food, but the cause and manner of his death are still pending, according to the coroner’s office.
Abdul had Down syndrome, but it did not appear to have any bearing on his death, according to the statement.MORE NEWS: 53-Year-Old Man Killed In Little Village Fire
(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2016. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)