CHICAGO (CBS)–The Mayor of south suburban Robbins has ordered a nightclub temporarily closed pending the outcome of a full investigation into the fatal shooting of security guard Jemel Roberson over the weekend.

Meanwhile, Midlothian police still haven’t provided a reason for why one of its officers fired a weapon at Roberson Sunday morning after a drunken fight broke out at the bar where he was working.

READ MORE: New CPD Policy On Search Warrants To Go Into Effect May 28; Police To Begin Tracking Some Wrong Raids

A Midlothian police officer, who has not been named, allegedly shot and killed Roberson while he was working security at Manny’s Blue Room Lounge, at 2911 S. Claire Blvd. in Robbins.

Witnesses say Roberson sprung into action when the fight broke out, pinning a gunman down. An officer responding to calls for backup allegedly shot him.

Roberson’s mother is now suing police for $1 million, and a  GoFundMe page set up for her has already raised more than $20,000 toward a $30,000 goal.

Roberson, a 2010 graduate of Lane Tech High School who played on the school’s basketball team, was an aspiring police officer.

The lawsuit–which names the Village of Midlothian and the unnamed officer as defendants–describes the shooting as “unprovoked, unjustified, excessive and unreasonable.”

The court documents allege that Roberson apprehended a shooting suspect outside the bar early Sunday morning, and that the unknown police officer used excessive force, shooting and killing him, while Roberson was trying to protect the patrons.


READ MORE: Hennessy, The Cat Who Leapt To Safety From Burning Englewood Apartment Building, Hasn't Returned Home

Jemel Roberson, 26, was shot and killed at Manny’s Blue Room Lounge on Nov. 11, 2018. A Midlothian police officer shot Roberson while responding to a shooting at the bar. Witnesses said Roberson, a security guard at Manny’s, was holding down the gunman from the initial shooting. (Photo supplied to CBS)

Roberson on Monday was being remembered by friends and family for his gift of music and other talents.

Those who knew him said he loved the organ and gospel music.

“We called him choir boy—everybody called him choir boy,” said neighbor John Montgomery.

His 9-year-old neighbor fondly recalls how Roberson called her “princess.”

Midlothian police are still not naming the officer, and said only that he’s been with the department for nearly seven years and was assigned to the patrol division.

He is also a team leader for the regional SWAT team.

The officer is on paid administrative leave as Illinois State Police take over the investigation.

Friends and family are left with plenty of unanswered questions.

“What really happened? There’s just a lot of ‘he said she said’ now,” Montgomery said.

Family friend Candace Ousley pleaded with police to release the officer’s name.

MORE NEWS: CBS 2 Chicago Wins 2020 Chicago Headline Club Watchdog Award

“They’re trying to keep that from us, so release his name please,” Ousley said. “That’s what I want y’all to do, release his name and he needs to have consequences.”

Lauren Victory