By Vi Nguyen

CHICAGO (CBS) — Days after a 67-year-old woman was found brutally slain in a Morgan Park alley, police have charged her son with murder.

Betty Wallace, 67, was found dead in a trash can in an alley near 108th and Prospect around 1:45 p.m. on Christmas Eve, when Streets and Sanitation workers emptied the garbage can into their truck. Police said she had suffered multiple stab wounds to her lower legs, and blunt trauma injuries to her face.

An autopsy determined she died of multiple stab wounds, and her death was ruled a homicide, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office. Prosecutors said the right side of her face had been caved in, and she was missing several teeth.

Her son, 25-year-old Robert Wallace, was arrested just hours later at his home near 105th and Church. He was charged Wednesday night with one count of first-degree murder.

At a bond hearing Thursday afternoon, Cook County prosecutors said Betty Wallace had forced her son to move out of her home near 100th and Church in August, after he cut her face with a knife. She allowed him to move into an apartment in a building she owned, but changed the locks at her house.

Jill Haney lives just across the street. She says it was just months ago when Robert Wallace attacked his mother.

“She ran out of her house and blood everywhere banging on neighbors’ doors to come for help,” Haney said. “She was quiet and to herself and a very nice lady. She loved her garden and her yard.”

Her family reported her missing on Sunday, after she did not show up for a family birthday party. After her body was found, but before she was identified, police searched her home, and saw blood spattered in several rooms in her house, as well as several human teeth on her floor. Police also found blood inside and under a large green tote in the dining room, and a half empty bottle of boric acid in the house.

“What appeared to be blood was found under the dining room table, the backs of chairs, on a couch, a window sill, and on windows blinds,” Cook County State’s Attorney Jamie Santini said.

When her son later showed up at the house driving her car, police noticed blood on Robert Wallace’s coat, and took him into custody. When they searched him, officers found he was carrying two pocket knives and two hunting knives, one of which had blood on it.

Police also found blood in the back seat of the victim’s car.

“Her credit cards were used multiple times at fast food restaurants, grocery stores, and used to make a purchase at a big and tall men’s clothing store,” Santini said.

A judge ordered Robert Wallace held without bail. He was due back in court on Jan. 3.