CHICAGO (AP) — The owner of the Chicago Cubs has pulled out of plans to invest in a United Soccer League team after developers scrapped a planned 20,000-seat stadium.
Sterling Bay, a real estate development company, announced last year the formation of a joint venture with Tom Ricketts to own the team.READ MORE: Police Warn Of String Of Armed Robberies At Downtown 7-Eleven Stores
On Tuesday Sterling Bay said it will redesign its $6 billion, 54-acre Lincoln Yards project on Chicago’s North Side excluding the stadium.
A spokesman says the Ricketts family is disappointed by the decision.READ MORE: Attorney: Some Of Brian Laundrie’s Belongings Found In Florida Park
The developer announced the decision after the alderman representing the neighborhood where the stadium was to be located pointed out the opposition of residents to its construction.
Despite the Sterling Bay’s decision, USL spokesman Ryan Madden said the league will work to meet the appetite for professional soccer in Chicago by delivering a club and a stadium to the city.MORE NEWS: City Hall, Police Union Return To Court As Fight Over Vaccine Mandate Drags On
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.