By Mugo Odigwe

CHICAGO (CBS) — The son of a Harvey police officer was killed and three other people were wounded, when a gunman opened fire at a nightclub in south suburban Harvey early Wednesday.

Harvey Police Chief Greg Thomas said the shooting started inside Boogie Nights at 147th and Wood shortly after 2 a.m. Three people, including two security guards, were wounded.

READ MORE: Jury Selection Under Way In Jussie Smollett Trial

The situation escalated outside the club, where another person was shot and killed. Police confirmed the victim was the 25-year-old son of a Harvey police officer, but have not released the victim’s name.

“There is an obvious emotional toll on the Harvey Police Department due to the tragic loss of an officer’s son,” Thomas stated in an email. “At this time the bereaving officer in our department is asking for privacy as we comfort him and each other.”

The three people who were wounded were taken to hospitals. Two of them were released later Wednesday morning. The third victim’s condition was described only as “stable.”

“The way they were shooting, they shot this whole area up,” said Richard Wilson, who said he was parked nearby when the shots rang out. Bullets broke his car window.

READ MORE: 17-Year-Old Boy Killed, 4 Injured In Evanston Shooting; Police Believe Shooting Was Targeted

“My car got hit about four or five times,” he said.

Several neighboring police departments – including Phoenix, Dixmoor, and Posen – assisted Harvey police on the scene after the shooting.

Several relatives and friends of the victims also rushed to the scene. One person got so emotional, he punched a police officer. A woman slammed her hands on the hood of a car, screaming “why did they kill my brother?”

Neighbors said the club always has been a major problem, and they want it shut down.

“It’s always something up here on this corner. It never fails,” Nicole Cochrane said. “It’s time to go. They need to close them. They need to go.”

MORE NEWS: Woman Dead, Child Among 3 Injured After House Fire In Clearing

No one was in custody Wednesday morning.