CHICAGO (CBS)– A string of cell phone robberies in the Loop have prompted Chicago police to alert residents.
Police said the offenders approach victims who have left their cell phones on tables while sitting in libraries or restaurants.READ MORE: Jordan Hassell Charged With Making Multiple Social Media Threats Targeting Chicago Public Schools
The offenders appear to be soliciting funds for charity and then place flyers or newspapers on top of the victim’s cell phone while engaging them in conversation. The offenders then lift the papers, along with the victim’s cell phone, and flee the scene.
According to police, the these incidents have occurred during the day in the areas listed below.READ MORE: MISSING: Cherish Taylor, 13, Last Seen In Auburn Gresham
• 0-100 block of S. Wabash Ave. on March 11
• 300 block of S. Wabash Ave. on March 11
• 0-100 block of N. Michigan Ave. on March 11
• 0-100 block of S. Michigan Ave. on March 13
• 0-100 block of W. Lake St. on March 21
• 100 block of N. Wabash Ave. on March 22
• 100 block of N. State St. on March 22
Anyone with information is asked to contact Area Central 312-747-8384.MORE NEWS: Workers At El Milagro Locked Out After Walkout Claiming Dangerous Conditions