By CBS 2 Chicago Staff

CHICAGO (CBS) — On very cold mornings, you may be tempted to turn on a space heater and if you do, make sure you’re following important safety rules.

The Chicago Fire Department tweeted a reminder to not plug your space heater into an extension cord and to never place the heater closer than three feet to anything that can burn, including a bed.

READ MORE: Bucktown Woman Shaken After Being Carjacked During Saturday Morning Spree, And She's Not The First Victim In Her Family

CFD shared the warning after the New York City Fire Department blamed a malfunctioning space heater for a deadly apartment fire in the Bronx. So much smoke filled the building because the safety doors apparently wouldn’t close.

READ MORE: Chicago Weather: Dangerous Wind Chills For Next 2 Nights

Seventeen people died, including eight children. It is considered the *worst fire in new york city’s recent history.

MORE NEWS: Chicago White Sox Take Action After CBS 2 Investigators Expose Parking Scam Outside Sports Venues: Fans Getting Ripped Off By Conmen, Then Hit With Parking Tickets

 

CBS 2 Chicago Staff