MAYWOOD, Ill. (CBS) — The man charged with throwing a bowling ball at another man’s head and leaving him in a coma has a history of violent behavior, CBS 2 News has learned.

Demetrius Easton, 30, was charged ordered held on $500,000 bond at a hearing in Maybrook County in Maywood.

READ MORE: Armed Robbers Are Attacking, Beating People At Their Garages In Alleys On Southwest Side

Demetrius Easton

Demetrius Easton is charged in a bowling ball attack in Cicero that left Damante Williams in a coma. (Credit: Cicero police)

He is charged in the attack on the night of Wednesday Sept. 4 at the Town Hall Bowl, at 5025 W. 25th St. in Cicero. Video footage shows Damante Williams, 28, being hit with the ball.

Police said Easton is the man seen in the video lifting a 14 pound bowling ball high above his head and preparing to bring it down on Damante Williams.

The severe injury sent Williams to Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood where he was placed in a medically-induced coma for three days. He suffered a skull fracture.

And as CBS 2’s Audrina Bigos reported Tuesday, Easton, 30, has been in trouble with the law on and off for the past 13 years.

But his latest charge of attempted first-degree murder is the most serious. It was caught on cellphone video and made headlines when it happened.

Williams’ mother talked only to CBS 2 on Tuesday after Easton’s arrest.

READ MORE: Chicago Bulls: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly

“To be honest with you, I just cried,” said Tamekio Williams, “because this is like a weight off of our shoulders that we don’t have to worry if this guy’s going to do this to someone else.”

Damante Williams is now in therapy four hours a day, four times a week.

“He’s still functioning. He’s walking and talking,” his mother said. “There’s still some things that he has to work on. But for the most part, he’s a miracle.”

Easton’s record includes a 2007 conviction of resisting or obstructing a peace officer and disorderly conduct. In 2008, he was found guilty of reckless conduct.

In 2010, Easton faced a domestic battery charge, and in 2017, he was found guilty of criminal trespass to a vehicle.

In court Tuesday, prosecutors said they have clear surveillance pictures showing Easton entering the bowling alley the night of the attack.

Police said they received numerous tips helping to identify him.

Easton is due back in court on Oct. 25. If found guilty, he could spend up to 30 years in prison.

MORE NEWS: West Suburban Community Pantry Turns To Curbside Pickup Amid COVID Surge