CHICAGO (CBS) — At least 24 people have been shot in Chicago so far this weekend, six of them fatally, according to police. The victims include a 3-year-old girl who was shot in the wrist.
The girl was inside a home on the 1300 block of East 89th Street around 3:10 p.m., when a witness heard a gunshot and found the girl with a gunshot wound to the left wrist, police said. It was not immediately clear who fired the shot.READ MORE: Chicago Weather: Rain Totals After Strong Storms, Tornado Hits Southwest Suburbs
The girl was taken to Comer Children’s Hospital in good condition. A weapon was recovered at the scene, and Area Two detectives were questioning a person of interest Saturday night.READ MORE: LIVE UPDATES: 130 Homes Damaged After Tornado Confirmed In Southwest Suburbs As Dangerous Storms Hit Chicago Area
This weekend’s shootings also include at least six homicides.
- At 7:30 p.m. Sunday, a 25-year-old man was found unresponsive under the Pink Line Chicago Transit Authority train tracks in the 1900 block of South St. Louis Avenue with a gunshot wound to the head. He was pronounced dead on the scene.
- At 11:15 a.m. Sunday, police said a homeowner shot and killed a suspected burglar in Chicago’s Marquette Park neighborhood. The man in his 40s was shot by the homeowner during the commission of a burglary in the 7100 block of South Mozart, police said.
- Around 10:10 p.m. Saturday in the 900 block of North Lawndale Avenue in the Humboldt Park neighborhood, a 31-year-old man was sitting in a parked vehicle when a gray sport-utility vehicle pulled up and someone fired shots into his car. The victim was shot in the chest and left leg and was pronounced dead at Mount Sinai Hospital. He was identified as Daryl A. Hampton.
- Around 8:25 p.m. Saturday, a 30-year-old man identified as Shamar Rice got into a fight with another man on the 100 block of West Swann Street in Bronzeville, when the other man pulled out a gun and shot him in the leg The victim was pronounced dead at the scene. The shooter stayed at the scene, and has been taken into custody.
- Around 3:15 a.m. Saturday, officers responding to a call of shots fired on the 1300 block of North Harding Avenue in the Humboldt Park neighborhood found 47-year-old Roberto Morales Galindo face down, bleeding, and unresponsive, with multiple gunshot wounds, according to police and the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office. He was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
- Around 4:30 p.m. Saturday, a 32-year-old man was sitting in the passenger seat of a vehicle in the 11400 block of South Calumet Avenue in the Roseland neighborhood, when another vehicle pulled up and someone inside started shooting. The victim was shot once in the back of the head and multiple times in the body. He was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead. He was identified as Deshawn McKinney.
At least 19 other people have been wounded in shootings since 5 p.m. Friday:MORE NEWS: 'Everybody's All Right': Woodridge Family On Surviving Severe Storm Taking A Wall From The Home
- Around 7:50 p.m. Friday, a 28-year-old man was inside a home on the 7900 block of South Saginaw Avenue in South Chicago, when someone walked up to him and shot him in the leg and ear. He was taken to University of Chicago Medical Center in good condition.
- At 10:30 p.m.. Friday, a 33-year-old man was standing next to his car in the 5100 block of West Chicago Avenue in the Austin neighborhood, when a dark vehicle pulled up and someone inside shot him in the finger and buttocks. He was dropped off at Mount Sinai Hospital in good condition.
- Around 10:40 p.m. Friday, a 21-year-old man was found in an alley in the 8000 block of South Coles Avenue, with a gunshot wound to the buttocks. He was taken to University of Chicago Medical Center, where he was stabilized.
- At 11:15 p.m. Friday, a 34-year-old man was getting into his vehicle parked in the driveway of a home in the 2700 block of North Newland Avenue in the Montclare neighborhood, when he got into an argument with the person who lives in the home. Police said that person pulled out a handgun and shot the man in the stomach. The victim was taken to Loyola University Medical Center in good condition.
- Around 11:40 p.m. Friday, two males were shot in the 1100 block of East 87th Street in the Chatham neighborhood. Police said one victim was taken to University of Chicago Medical Center with a gunshot wound to the chest and lower back. Another victim took himself to Advocate Trinity Hospital. Their conditions were not available.
- Around 10:30 a.m. Saturday, a 20-year-old man was driving on the 700 block of South Independence Boulevard in West Garfield Park, when he was shot in the hand and chest. He fled the scene and ran a stop sign, crashing into a Chicago Police squad car at Pulaski Road and Arthington Street. The 20-year-old man was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in serious condition. Two police officers were taken to Stroger Hospital, where they were stabilized.
- Around 9:50 p.m. Saturday, a 26-year-old man was sitting in his car on near Chicago and Wabash avenues in the River North neighborhood, when a gunman got into the passenger seat, demanded the vehicle, and fired shots. The victim suffered a graze wound to the left thigh, and was taken to University of Chicago Medical Center, where he was stabilized.
- Around 10:30 p.m., a 22-year-old man was on the sidewalk in the 1500 block of West Farwell Avenue in the Rogers Park neighborhood when a black pickup truck pulled up and someone fired three times. The victim was shot in the left hand and found his own way to AMITA Health St. Francis Hospital in Evanston in good condition.
- Around 3:33 a.m. Sunday, officers were called to the 3200 block of West Maypole Avenue in the East Garfield Park neighborhood, where they found a 21-year-old woman lying on the floor near the entrance of a home with multiple gunshot wounds to her body. She was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in critical condition. A 27-year-old man also showed up to the same hospital in good condition with a gunshot wound to the thigh. He said it happened at the same address, but would not tell police anything else.
- Around 4:30 a.m. Sunday, a 34-year-old man was shot in the left arm in the 4600 block of West Adams Street, on the cusp of the West Garfield Park and South Austin neighborhoods. He had been inside a blue four-door car when someone fired shots. The victim found his way to Loretto Hospital, where he was in good condition.
- At 8:09 a.m. Sunday, a ShotSpotter call sent police to the 2600 block of West Madison Street in the East Garfield Park neighborhood. There they found a 25-year-old man who had been shot in both arms. He was taken to Stroger Hospital of Cook County in good condition.
- Around noon Sunday, two men were shot in the 2800 block of West Flournoy Street in the East Garfield Park neighborhood. A 56-year-old man was shot in the abdomen and was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in serious condition, while a 37-year-old man was shot in the hand and was taken to the same hospital in good condition. The victims were standing in the street when someone got out of a vehicle and shot them, police said.
- Around 4:53 p.m. Sunday, an 18-year-old man was shot in the left hand in the 1200 block of South Keeler Avenue in Lawndale. He was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in good condition.
- Around 6:15 p.m. Sunday, a 64-year-old man was shot in the face in the 9000 block of South Laflin Street in the Brainerd neighborhood. He was speaking with someone he knew in a vehicle when someone shot him and ran off, police said. The victim was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in critical condition.
- Around 7 p.m. Sunday, a 40-year-old man was walking on the sidewalk in the 1600 block of West 74th Street in Englewood when two men came up and announced they were robbing him. The victim refused to give them any money and one of the robbers shot him in the abdomen, police said. The victim was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center in serious condition.
- At 10:46 p.m. Sunday, a 39-year-old man was sitting in a parked car in the 8400 block of South Muskegon Avenue in South Chicago when two men walked past and shots were fired. The victim was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center with a graze wound to the head.
Also From CBS Chicago:
- Dr. Ngozi Ezike Brought To Tears During Daily COVID-19 Briefing
- Corey Deering Charged In Killings Of Pregnant Cook County Probation Officer Stacey Jones And Her Baby
- Chicago Police Investigate Domestic Incident At Home Of Former Supt. Eddie Johnson: Source